Need help getting to the race? Check-out the race-day transportation options below.
Private Chartered Buses
You can relax in top-of-the-line vehicles to comfortably get you around on race day shuttles for complete round-trip service from one of their three pick up locations around the Bay Area or utilize their express service back to the starting area or BART from the Finish Line Festival.
North Bay Shuttle: The shuttle will pickup from the Mill Valley Park & Ride lot (Manzanita Parking Lot, Shoreline Highway) and take you to the Start Line. After the race the shuttle will depart from the Finish Line Festival and return to the Mill Valley Park & Ride lot.
South Bay Shuttle: The shuttle will pickup from the Millbrae Park & Ride lot (BART Station at Millbrae Avenue) and take you to the Start Line. After the race the shuttle will depart from the Finish Line Festival at and return to the Millbrae Park & Ride lot. *This is the best option for CALTRAIN Riders
East Bay Shuttle: The shuttle will pickup from the Emeryville Park & Ride lot (Emeryville Amtrak Station) and take you to the Start Line. After the race the shuttle will depart from the Finish Line Festival at and return to the Emeryville Park & Ride lot.
ALL ROUND TRIP SHUTTLES WILL BE DEPARTING THEIR LOCATIONS AT 6:30AM AND RETURN FROM THE FINISH STARTING AT 11:30 AM.
Downtown Express Shuttle: One way shuttle from the Finish Line Festival to the Start Line.
Express BART Shuttle: One way shuttle from Finish Line Festival to Embarcadero BART Station.
RIDE MUNI TO BAY TO BREAKERS!
Buy Tickets in Advance
MuniMobile the official SFMTA mobile ticketing app, is the easiest way buy your tickets for any Muni services instantly before the race. Available for iPhone or Android, tickets can be purchased through a credit/debit card or PayPal account for individual or multiple riders on one smartphone. Skip the lines and buy tickets ahead of time or on the go, then activate when you are ready to ride. With MuniMobile, your phone is your fare.
Customers may also use a preloaded Clipper Card, or purchase tickets at Muni Metro Embarcadero station, the nearest stop to the race starting line.
Muni passes are also available for purchase on the Bay to Breakers registration page. These passes are valid all day on race day on Muni services (excluding cable car). Muni passes may also be purchased at the Expo on May 19 and 20.
1454 The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA CA 94133
Ride the F-line or E-line to The Embarcadero & Bay Street
The closest stop to the starting line is Muni Metro Embarcadero Station.
Main St & Howard St.
San Francisco, CA CA 94105
These routes will get you to or close to Main Street & Howard Street: J, K, L, M, N, T, 2, 9R, 14R, 5/5R, 7, 25, 30X, 38/38R, 41, 81X, 82X
Muni Service After the Race
After the race, Muni buses will be staged at the finish line area (at Fulton Street between 47th and 45th Avenues & at Judah and La Playa streets) to provide special service back downtown. Fare must be paid before boarding, or MuniMobile tickets activated as you board.
The race will impact regular Muni service all day Sunday, May 21. Please visit the SFMTA website for full service alert, re-routes, traffic and delay details. For personalized trip assistance, please call San Francisco 311 Customer Service Center before the race day.
For help with Muni service before or after the race, look for SFMTA staff wearing bright orange vests.
RECEIVING YOUR TRANSPORTATION PASS
Expo: If you are picking up your race packet in-person at the Bay to Breakers Expo on either May 19 or 20, you will receive your transportation pass at that time.
Mail: If your race packet is being mailed you will receive your transportation pass with your race packet.
Adding a transportation pass to an existing registration
To add a transportation pass to an existing registration please follow the link HERE. You will need the primary registrant’s booking code, last name and email to complete this transaction.
STREET CLOSURE SCHEDULE
A large number of municipal streets and facilities will be closed before, during and after the race. Check back to this page in April 2017 for official street closure times and locations.
NORTH/SOUTH TRAFFIC SHOULD USE EMBARCADERO OR 19TH AVE. DURING RACE TIMES AS THEY ARE THE ONLY AVAILABLE CROSSOVER ROUTES.
PARKING PANDA – GUARANTEED PARKING
Parking assistance is provided by Parking Panda, the nationwide leader in online parking reservations, to allow visitors to purchase guaranteed parking for near the race. View real-time availability and pricing at many locations within easy walking distance to the Start line.
Once purchased, parking is 100% guaranteed even if the location otherwise fills up. Simply present your purchase confirmation at the selected location, and this serves as your payment with no additional payments or fees ever. Locations will fill up, so it is strongly recommended that you purchase parking passes in advance, if driving.
Download the FREE Parking Panda app to search and book parking on-the-go!
BART & CALTRAIN
CALTRAIN will be running special service on race day. Please visit the website HERE for more information.
- Avoid long lines, Bay to Breakers tickets will go on sale starting May 18 at any station ticket machine. Select the “Bay to Breakers” button.
- Group of 25 or more save 10% by ordering in advance with a group ticket.
- Alcohol is prohibited on the special trains.
- Caltrain is a proof-of-payment system. Customers must have a valid ticket before boarding. Those without a valid ticket are subject to citation.
- Parking is enforced 7 days a week and all Caltrain stations.
BART has provided the following information regarding the race day service:
- The system will open approximately 2 hours early or 6:00 am instead of 8:00 am on a normal Sunday.
- Customers should should arrive at stations with additional time to spare (Min. 30 minutes)
- BART will supplement normal 3-route, service (Yellow, Blue and Orange Lines on a 20-minute headways) with additional special event trains that fill the gap in the normal Sunday schedule:
- Special event train service to SF will operate between approx. 6:00 am and 8:00 am (Normal service will begin after that time)
- Direct service to SF from the Richmond Line and Fremont Line will operate (i.e. limited Red and Green Line service) between approximately 6:00 am and 8:00 am.
- Special event trains from SF back to the East Bay and Peninsula will return in the afternoon/early evening to help provide supplemental capacity for the ride home
- All trains will operate “long” or weekday peak commute period lengths throughout the day
- BART encourages customers to purchase Clipper Cards in advance of their trip to avoid long lines at Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs)
Visit the BART website for more information.
Monitored bicycle parking will be available at the Finish Line Festival at Ocean Beach in the North Balboa Parking lot. Please refer to the map HERE for exact location.
GOLDEN GATE LARKSPUR FERRY
The Golden Gate Larkspur Ferry’s added early morning ferry service and arrives just a few blocks from the starting line. For information on timing, departure/arrival and purchasing tickets click here.
The bus stops in San Francisco are located where civic events often disrupt Amtrak service. The following disruption will occur on the date indicated.
- Stops affected: SFM (Moscone Convention Center), SFS (Shopping Center), SFF (Financial District) and SFW (Fisherman’s Wharf) – no service
- Eastbound buses that will not stop: 6612, 6670, 5006, 6674, 6614, 6678, 6011, 3402
- Westbound buses that will not stop: 6673, 5011, 6677, 6611, 6679, 3377, 3311, 3379
- Alternative: Walk to the Transbay Temporary Terminal (during the race, crossovers are at 7th St. and at The Embarcadero, nothing in between), or take Muni Metro underground streetcar service (any) to Embarcadero station then walk south on The Embarcadero to Folsom St. then west to Transbay, or take Muni Metro N or T cars to Folsom station then walk west to Transbay. The race essentially cuts the city in half and while the runners are passing by it is difficult to cross the race course. Most runners should be out of the downtown area by 9:00 – 9:30 am. Driving is not recommended as there will be extreme roadway congestion.
- Stops not affected: SFP (Caltrain) and SFC (Transbay Temporary Terminal) – normal service
Taking an Amtrak train into San Francisco? Book guaranteed parking near your station with Parking Panda. Enter your station in the search box and then update the calendar to fit your trip. Then simply compare parking options, reserve, and use your confirmation to access the facility. If you need assistance booking overnight parking or have questions please call (800) 232-6415.